Extension of Stay in Korea


Foreigners who want to stay after the duration of stay must be approved by the immigration office


Group Applications at the beginning of the semester (International Students Support Team)



① Application Form (Without photo) 

② Passport 

③ ARC 

④ Confirmation of Residence 

⑤ Tuition Fee Receipt (printed at the student portal system) 

⑥ Certificate of Enrollment 

⑦ Academic Transcript (Students taking extra semesters (over nine semesters): 

    Academic Advisor Statement, Explanatory Statement / Students with GPA of less than 2.0 for the previous semester: Explanatory Statement) 

⑧ Proof of Residency (In case of living off-campus, a copy of the rental contract is required to be submitted.)

⑨ Financial Statement (only effective for the student’s own bank account in Korea)

    ※ only for students with GPA of less than 2.0 (C grade)

       (6 months extension: KRW 6 million, 1 year extension: KRW 12 million)

⑧ Tuberculosis Test Certificate (For students who have never submitted the certificate to the immigration office)


KRW 60,000


Students can apply for their extension of stay starting from 4 months prior to its expiry date. 

(It usually takes as long as 14 days, students are recommended to apply for extension well ahead of time.)

※ Extension of Stay: A student in the Bachelor’s program can extend the duration of stay up to six years, in the Master’s program up to five years, 

    and in the Ph. D program up to eight years. The application for the extension requires Visa Extension Confirmation for students in the Bachelor’s program 

    (if a student has not fulfilled enough credits for completion)

    and Confirmation for Student’s Thesis Schedule (if a student write a thesis after completing the program) and Certificate of Completion for students in the Master’s 

    or Ph. D. program (If a student doesn't pay health insurance premiums, the application for the extension will not be accepted.)

 Q. I'm planning to return home during vacation. Do I need to apply for the re-entry permit?

A. You don't have to. If you are a registered foreigner with a D-2 visa, the application for re-entry within "one year" will be waived. 

    When returning to school, however, you must issue a visa and register as a foreigner again.

※ Note that a re-entry period of “one year ~ two years” is required to apply for a re-entry permit.

    - The application for re-entry: offline application-Immigration Office/online

    - Required Documents: Passport, ARC, an application form

Visa Change

1. Change to E-7 (Employment visa)


 D-2 (Student visa) ▶ E-7 (Employment visa)

 How to apply

 Visits the immigration office

 Required Documents

 ① Application Form ② Passport

 ③ A photo (3.5x4.5 cm, white background, taken within the last 6 months)

 ④ Confirmation of Residency ⑤ Bank Statement

 ⑥ Alien Registration Card ⑦ Graduate (expected) Certificate

 ⑧ Employment Contract and its copy ⑨ A Copy of Business Registration Certificate


 KRW 130,000

2. Change to D-10 (Job seeker visa)



 D-2 (Student visa) ▶ D-10 (Job seeker visa)

 How to apply

 Visits the immigration office (Visa is valid for 6 months from date of issue)

 Required Documents

 ① Application Form 

 ② Passport

 ③ A photo (3.5x4.5 cm, white background, taken within the last 6 months)

 ④ Job seeking plan

 ⑤ Academic credentials (graduate certificate, diploma, certificate of degree, etc.)

 ⑥ Alien Registration Card


 KRW 130,000

Immigration Office

- Busan immigration office·Immigration contact center‘s address : Busan, Joong-gu, Joongangdae-ro 146 Korean Air Building 1st, 2nd Floor 

  (Subway Line #1, Busan Station Exit 2, Joongang Station Exit 14)

※ All Korean immigration offices only provide the service for those who 
made a reservation in advance. To apply for your requests, please make a reservation on 

    website (   (Same Day Reservation may not be available)

 Q. What kind of help is available from the Immigration Contact Center (1345)?

A. The immigration Contact Center provides consultation services via phone in twenty languages (Korean, English, Chinese and Vietnamese). 

    The center provides visa  related services and civil affairs consultation services needed for the adjustment of foreigners living in Korea. 

    Besides, The center provides multilingual interpretation  service for foreigners in connection with the central government, local governments, 

    public organizations and non-governmental organizations.

※ Multilingual Consultation Service : Dial 1345, choose a number of the language that you 
want according to information on the ARS and then press *

찾으시는 내용이 있으신가요?
사이트 내 전체검색